The Department of Education are spending over £450 million on improving physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools over the 3 academic years 2013 to 2014, 2014 to 2015 and 2015 to 2016. They will allocate this extra funding directly to primary headteachers. This funding is inspected by Ofsted and schools are accountable by requiring them to publish by April 2014, on their websites, details of how they spend (or will spend) their PE and sport grant. They must also include detail about the impact this funding has on pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment.
Schools can choose how they use the funding, for example to:
- hire specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers during PE lessons
- support and involve the least active children by running after-school sports clubs and holiday clubs, e.g. the Change4Life clubs
- provide resources and training courses in PE and sport for teachers
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools
What Can the Havant and Waterlooville School Sports Partnership offer you?
We currently have a team of Primary PE Specialist who are qualified PE teachers who work in 13 affiliated primary schools one day a week to up skill teachers and help mentor to make sure all children recieve high quality Physical Education.
If a school affilites to the Havant and Waterlooville School Sports Partnership we will provide the following services:
Each school will receive a qualified Physical Education teacher 1 day a week for the academic year.
They will provide guidance on and delivery in:
· Curriculum PE delivery to up skill your primary teachers;
· Support with assessment of learning;
· Guidance and resources for high quality PE delivery;
· Organisation of intra and inter school competitions and festivals;
· Development of sports leaders;
· Support for gifted and talented identification;
· Facilitation and delivery of staff professional development;
· Delivery of health initiatives such as Energy Clubs or Change 4 Life;
· Support for schools in applying for the School Games Kitemark;
· Opportunities for school to club links;
· Strategically line-manage the PE teacher.