The LRC has an important role in the academy and the wider community being far more than a traditional library. It offers a range of information and opportunities to benefit students, staff, parents and the community as a whole. The LRC strives to:
- Serve the learning needs of all students and staff by providing information in either hard or electronic form
- Be a centre of information and activity for the academy and the wider community for the promotion of learning and teaching
- Be innovative and promote good practice in the ways it supports the development of literacy
- Help to engage parents and the wider community in the promotion of learning for all.
- To work collaboratively with disadvantaged groups, existing users and non-users, voluntary and community groups and other community service providers.
- To reflect and lead on local and national strategies for learning.
As the LRC develops it will meet the needs of all learners and include: reading groups, writing groups, language classes, family learning activities, art and museum exhibitions, cultural activities such as drama, health activities such as well-being classes, information seminars about local volunteering or other opportunities, work experience and outreach activities into more hard to reach areas of the community.